Wednesday, September 2, 2015

Melty Bubblegum and A Whole Lotta Love

One thing I love to do is take the kids out on adventures. Taking a day to get out of the house and do something out of the ordinary. It's the best. Our very last full day of summer arrived and I really wanted to make it special for Oliver. We drove up to San Luis Obispo for some shopping and lunch.

They each got a teddy bear sticker at Gap while we were checking out and they thought that was pretty great. Harper wore hers like a tattoo.


It was a really hot day and the kids were begging for smoothies so we stopped at Jamba! I got them each a kids size and then I got a medium to share with Sawyer because I planned on that being all I ate for lunch. Funny story about that later....

As we were walking to the toy store up the street the kids saw Bubblegum Alley and asked if we could stop to see what it was all about.

They were seriously in awe of how much gum there was and that people actually chewed and stuck every piece on there. The heat really brought out that bubblegum smell!

Bubblegum alley on a hot day....it'll getcha.

After the toy store we stopped at an overpriced candy store to buy some overpriced lollipops...

But hey, their happiness was priceless so I guess it worked out.

So you know how I previously mentioned that I bought the medium size smoothie to share with my baby? Well I made the mistake of handing that big ol' smoothie over to said baby while we walked from Jamba Juice to the toy shop which was maybe a five minute walk. When we got there I thought "Oh I haven't even had a sip of my smoothie yet." I grabbed the cup from him and discovered that he had literally chugged 3/4 of it in that small window of time it took for us to walk. I was partially in disbelief but the kid is a crazy eater and I should have known better than to hand it to him in the first place. As we're walking up the street to stop for burgers he was getting REALLY fussy. Like uncharacteristically fussy so I picked him up and he looked really pale and had a little bit of a weird wimpery look on his face. He burped a couple of times and started to perk up so I carried him while pushing the middle two in the stroller all the way back to the parking garage. At this point I had already told the kids that after lunch we could head to the Avila Valley Barn and maybe stop at the beach after to play. Its about a ten minute drive from SLO but as soon as we got in the car Sawyer started fussing again and for some reason I just knew but thought "maybe he just doesn't have enough solid food in his stomach". I decided to stop at the nearest Mcdonald's because lets be real, it's cheap and easy. We sat down with our food, I got everyone situated with their meals, and as soon as I took my first bite Sawy started fussing a little bit again. I picked him up and grabbed our empty tray just in time to catch the smoothie spew. Thankfully I caught >>most<< of it and thankfully there was hardly anyone else in the restaurant. The kids finished eating >>cause apparently someone throwing up on their table at lunch doesn't faze them<< and we headed out. I felt so bad that we had to cancel our afternoon plans but I wanted to make sure that it was indeed to smoothie overkill that made him sick and not a tummy bug. He slept the whole way home in the car and woke up super happy.

I laid Sawyer on my bed while his older brothers were laying watching tv and he crawled right up to cuddle with Carter.

They were both totally loving it.

A little later my Dad asked if we wanted to meet him and my sisters at the park by our house so we did! Sawyer face in this pictures cracks me up. He looks like he's plotting to take Papa out or something.

We had a really fun day even though it was cut short and we didn't get to do everything we had wanted to do and I was pretty proud of the older three for having a good attitude when things didn't go exactly how it had been planned. I can't believe I no longer have all four at home with me full time but it has been so good for us in a lot of ways! I'll share more about our new school year routine in another post!

No comments :

Post a Comment